Thursday, January 14, 2010

Weird how a runaway mouth can in a moment bring about a downfall; Fanny Cradock with her “You’re among the professionals now” whose broadcasting career came to an end at that moment, Oscar Wilde who sealed his doom when he said he never kissed a boy because he was too ugly, Jonathon Ross with his little bit of obscene joking with Russell Brand. And who might Russell Brand be I asks? He’s a comedian is he? Right, I’m with you. But it evidently was a joke that back-fired on his friend Jonathon. It seems to me if you want to become a multi-multi millionaire in showbiz you need to have been deprived of toys as a child and, like Peter Pan you don’t want to grow up unless you can have all those toys of which you were deprived, viz Michael Jackson with his Never land and Jonathon Ross whose mother evidently still gives him toys at Christmas, or so I read in the paper. Then you can have the obligatory four to five homes and fleet of cars that seem to be the symbols of success. I’m not ranting here, Frank, merely musing on matters material. The fact is that Jonathon’s Ross’s £14000000 contract with the BBC was outrageous and Graham Norton’s milking the old cow as well. Meanwhile producers of smaller shows are scraping the barrel for cash. Ah, well, now that he is no longer with the Beeb we must wait with bated breath to see what Jonathon gets up to next. How are the mighty fallen, not that, with all his wealth, he need worry about the pennies, but there is the possibility that away from the fans boredom will quickly set in. It’s a strange old, world, Frank, isn’t it? Stranger still, here I am writing about someone I simply do not know, not personally or as a performer because that I suppose is what a DJ is basically. I have never seen Jonathon Ross on television and have never listened to him on the radio. His talent and why the BBC nabobs considered him to be worth so much money is to me a complete mystery. Mind you, I never saw Michael Jackson in action either except for snippets on television so, apart from what seemed like some sort of supercharged electrical energy and a sinuous body, particularly around the hips, did he have that made him the super-star that he was? That I will never know.

No comments: